Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

RV Trip to the keys and looking for Tarpon - Looking for any

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

RV Trip to the keys and looking for Tarpon - Looking for any

Postby WebSpider » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:10 pm

I am planning my 1st trip to the keys in an RV and need some advice.

I am planning on going in mid Jan (04) and stay for about a month.

I'm looking for suggestions on the cheapest places to RV for a single guy who is just going to fish without a boat and possibly have a few maragaritas :)

I would also like to get into some Tarpon which I have never fished for. I am a Texas Bass angler. Are ther places a guy can catch Tarpon from the bank or wading?

WebSpider
WebSpider

Postby BigTuna » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:21 pm

Try the KOA Fiesta Key Campground – nice place, good location:
http://www.koa.com/where/fl/09250.htm

As far as tarpon, you can fish on most of the old bridges along the overseas highway. If you’ve never been to the Keys, there are two sets of bridges connecting most of the islands, all the way down to Key West. The old bridges were built in the 1920’s. In 1982, the new bridges were built alongside the old ones. Since then, many of the old bridges are now open for use as fishing piers...

If I had to pick my favorite bridge for tarpon fishing, it would have to be the bridge at Channel #2 (mile marker 73).

The best time for tarpon is the late spring and early summer, but you may be able to catch a resident fish if you soak a mullet head long enough.

Good luck and let us know how you did.
BigTuna
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby WebSpider » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:21 am

Thanks a lot. I had heard about the old roads and wondered if they could be fished.

The KOA looks nice. Are there any rest areas along the main bridge hiway. They are not quite as expensive for a 58 year old dude on a budget who's exs and bankruptcy have taken his fortune :)

Sounds like it's not the right season for Tarpon, but I have to go when I can.

I'll definantly look for the 'bridge at Channel #2 (mile marker 73)' you spoke of.

I will be using good baitcasting equipment that I usually use for bass fishing. I am not in a hurry on this trip and probably will be able to learn from the locals.

I would like to do one trip with a guide, but not an ocean trip. I really would like to hook up with a good largemouth bass guide using shiners or a good guide for the calmer bay or canal waters. I am more interested in any good sport fish from the 5 to 30 lb range. I really would like to catch a nice Florida largemouth on a Large Shiner. Primarily I use plastic worms in Texas, so I am a very patient fisherman :)

What type of lures are best for the bridges?

I have done some Texas Gulf Coast flats drift fishing for reds and trout using live shrimp which works well with a popping cork.

What live bait is used predominantly on the old hiway bridges? Are they open at night?

WebSpider
WebSpider

Postby BigTuna » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:18 am

WebSpider wrote:What type of lures are best for the bridges?

I have done some Texas Gulf Coast flats drift fishing for reds and trout using live shrimp which works well with a popping cork.

Areas of Florida Bay are almost identical to Texas Gulf Coast flats and fished much the same way.

What live bait is used predominantly on the old hiway bridges?

Live bait used would be mullet, pinfish, hearing, etc.

Are they open at night?

Yes.
BigTuna
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay