Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

info on do it youself fishing in keys

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

info on do it youself fishing in keys

Postby grex » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:06 am

Planning a first time trip to keys in mid-June 04, with wife and two daughters (14&16) for 7 days. trying to decide between taking a large pop-up with air for economy, or tow my 21' Thompson V8 IO w fresh water cooling,cuddy cabin and rent an efficiency some where. Primary species is tarpon and any other that is in my range with this boat.My equipment is primariy set up for great lakes trolling, but willing to purchase other rods/reels if necessary. Other interests are do it yourself snorkling, swimming for family. Where is the best place to set up home base. that would give me best of both worlds? I know about Marathon Islamorado and Fiesta Key. Do you trailer from fishing spot to spot, or have one location that is best. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Coming from PA.
grex

Postby topangler » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:13 pm

I guess it will depend on how many days you plan to be on the water. With that in mind, compare the cost of renting a boat for those days, with cost of an efficiency.

Mid-June is a prime time for Tarpon. 20-lb., or bigger, outfits should be fine and live well on your boat would be a plus+

Good luck and let us know how you did 8)
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton
topangler
Old Salt
Old Salt

Postby grex » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:53 am

Thanks for the info. I have two electric downriggers. Are they useful in the keys ? Any comments?
grex

Postby topangler » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:57 am

Sure. You can use your downriggers for many different things in Keys. Use them for trolling baits over reefs for grouper and other bottom dwellers. Use them at mid depth for kingfish. Use them offshore for wahoo…
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton
topangler
Old Salt
Old Salt

Florida Keys

Postby RonB50 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:44 pm

Grex....I'll be in the Keys (Marathon) from 6/8-17 with my wife and two daughters as well (18, 19). I was in the Keys before but was not able to do any fishing (ouch). Anyway, I'm trying to research best places, etc.
I would love to meet someone that is in the same predicament and perhaps split costs/knowledge.
Email me if you would like to correspond.
[email protected]

Thanks!
Ron
RonB50

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay