Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Wahoo Sighting

East Cape to Englewood

Moderator: admin

Wahoo Sighting

Postby Magic Hook » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:03 pm

Crazy as it sounds we were fishing for little tunny when a wahoo about 75 pounds exploded into the air on one we had on. Pretty cool sighting for our area.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby fishbuster » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:37 am

Hey Rick, Are the shrimpboats still SW of Sanibel, or are they off Naples now? Very cool on the wahoo sighting--pretty unusual around these parts.
Captain Dave Hanson
Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
Bonita Beach, FL
(239) 947-1688
[email protected]
www.fishbustercharters.com
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Magic Hook » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:24 pm

fishbuster wrote:Hey Rick, Are the shrimpboats still SW of Sanibel, or are they off Naples now? Very cool on the wahoo sighting--pretty unusual around these parts.

Dave, there are none off Sanibel for the last week.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby fishbuster » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:12 am

8) Thanks Rick. Had some nice action Monday with a keeper red grouper and a couple little tunnies, about 28 miles off Naples. Must have been 100 or more little tunnies schooling out there. Good fishing to you this week.
Captain Dave Hanson
Bonita Beach, FL
(239) 947-1688
[email protected]
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Tunnys

Postby Magic Hook » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:19 pm

fishbuster wrote:8) Thanks Rick. Had some nice action Monday with a keeper red grouper and a couple little tunnies, about 28 miles off Naples. Must have been 100 or more little tunnies schooling out there. Good fishing to you this week.

Dave,
I love those tunnys, especially when I have the fly guys which I have twice next week. I will check SW for sure, we went NW today 35+. Okay fishing but no hot spots. We did find a permit school of a half dozen fish though, all big, 25# plus that made our day.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby fishbuster » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:51 am

The permit you got into sounds great...so that's where they went--way out there. I can't handle 35+ on a half-day, so gotta wait for a full-day trip for that. Those tunnys were actually about 25 miles out, and every one of them was spitting up little squid (all over my boat!) The squid were so thick out there, they looked like schools of minnows in the water. Guess the tunnys were feeding on those. The ones we got were around ten pounds. I am heading out now, but just on a half-day. I hear rumblings in the sky, but I think it might hold off for a while--It's about 25 miles offshore. Have a good one.
Dave 8)
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

WAY South

Postby Magic Hook » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:48 pm

Dave,

Wow, squid like that should attract lots of good stuff, pretty cool! We were out testing the new rig yesterday and just ended up that far out. Just the wife and I. We are running again tomorrow to finnish the break in 80 miles South, may decide to run into Marathon for the night if its good weather. Back to work on charters Monday, I hope those LT's are still active. Good luck on your half day, the wind seems higher than predicted.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby fishbuster » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:48 am

Congrats on the new rig, and hope the break-in went well. Man, the winds were a lot higher than predicted Friday. We fished in 3-5 footers all morning, even though NOAA predicted the standard "less than 2 feet". My wife and I just ran to Marathon for a vacation early June--We lucked out on weather and seas both ways--Made it there in 4 hours, no problem. Hope the LT action holds for next week for you.
Dave 8)
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Magic Hook » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:56 am

Dave,

I heard it was very sporty Friday. We made the run to Key West all went good. Lots of tunny's and blackfins South of us for sure! Fished this week to the North on client request. The bottom is loaded with sharks, goliath are in full force, lots of spanish and a few kings 20-25 out. Are you still finding LT's SW?
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby fishbuster » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:18 pm

Rick, I saw a small school of LTs today about 28 miles SW of New Pass, in about 58 feet. The water was real blue. At that same spot, we saw a sailfish! This one was about 15 feet off my boat, circling. I had 6 people, including 3 rowdy kids, and i had a handful of shrimp for baiting hooks--No rig for the sailfish. So, I just threw my handful of shrimp at it, and he raised his dorsal fin, and showed us his sail before he took off. I don't know what's going on around here lately with your wahoo siting, the humpback whale recently spotted, and now a sailfish! Guess we'll have to brush up on Keys type offshore skills! (or at least have a freeline ready). Glad to hear your trip went well. BTW, one of the local guys from Bonita Bay told me that there was a school of small permit at the barge last week, in case you are interested. I have not been out that way to fish this week. Heading back offshore tomorrow--The heat's about to kill me--Got 4 full day trips this week. Hope your weekend goes well.
Dave 8)
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Magic Hook » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:47 pm

A sailfish! That is as cool as it gets and what and experience for your clients to see. Gota love that stuff. Roger on the heat and being beat tired I am with you there. I do have off until Monday, then five in a row. The permit I saw at the barge were pretty small, but cool fun. The pressure there is intense so I have been playing deeper, lots of goliath clients, thankfully they are thick. I am still learning the new boat and trying to figure out where and what to do with my stuff but is sure if a fun chore. Good luck to you tomorrow and catch em up big.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby fishbuster » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:37 am

8) Soak up some air conditioning before Monday. Hope the weather stays good for your busy week. Those goliaths are so much fun for clients. Nearly had a hand torn up a couple times by those monsters though. What kind of boat did you get? I know it takes a while to get used to a new one. I broke mine in 2 years ago, on the way to Marathon in 4-5 foot seas...That was a tough trip--nothing like this year. Took us 9 hours that year, due to conditions, but then only 4 on the way home, when winds were calm. Enjoy your time off, and good luck next week.
Cap't. Dave
Captain Dave Hanson
Bonita Beach, FL
(239) 947-1688
[email protected]
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Magic Hook » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:42 am

Dave,

9 hours, thats a long day of rough water!

We were all day but fished several spots along the route and travled with another boat. Luckly weather was perfect.

Our new rig is a SeaVee 290b. Image
I can say for sure that if I make one more trip to the local marine store my wife will kill me!
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby fishbuster » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:40 pm

Rick, that's a nice ride. It makes a day at work beter when the "office" is that nice! If it is anything like mine, semi-mellow on the throttle makes the gas mileage a lot better. I'm running a 27 foot with twin Yamaha 225 4-strokes, getting just under 2 mpg. at about 3500 rpm (31 mph). That's a great cruising speed, when conditions allow. My wife kinda shudders everytime she hears "marine store" too!
Cap't. Dave8)
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Magic Hook » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:59 pm

Dave, Can you believe that rain! Kept me home 2 days hiding under the bed. Been out the last two and going tomorrow to the SW. Guys are looking for LT's on light stuff, we will see. Worked NW today with mixed results, very little on the bottom but saved the day with two permit so hopefully they will make a showing now. We never saw them, just blind casted over the structure.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Next

Return to Florida - Southwest