Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Nice Gag, Yellowtails, Lanes & Mangs...and water spouts

East Cape to Englewood

Moderator: admin

Nice Gag, Yellowtails, Lanes & Mangs...and water spouts

Postby fishbuster » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:46 pm

Monday, with a stubborn clump of storms stalled offshore, I stayed in port, but fished Tuesday with the Jeff Padavic party, 28 miles west of New Pass in 55-67 feet. We didn’t get any keeper red groupers, like I was catching in that area last week, but we released lots of them to 18 inches. Using live shrimp and cut-bait, we did catch some nice yellowtail snapper and lane snapper, along with Spanish mackerel and triggerfish.

Wednesday, I fished with the George Reiff party. We headed out New Pass about 22 miles. There were thunderstorms predicted about 27 miles out, but we saw spotty ones as close as ten miles out. As we headed out, there was a big storm over Sanibel and a big one to the south. We got through a clearing right between the two storms, looked behind us, and saw three small water spouts dropping from the sky. We saw one of those make it down to froth the water. We caught nineteen lane snapper before the rain started building around us. We saw four more water spouts to the south, and the rains offshore were moving in on us, so we headed in about 11:30 AM, and were lucky enough to stay dry.

The Jose Garcia party fished Thursday with me, 23 miles out New Pass in 57 feet. We had to keep an eye on the storms again, but managed to get a good part of the day to fish. We caught thirty-two lane snapper to 12 inches and seven mangrove snapper to 14 inches, using live shrimp.

Friday, Tom VonFelt, daughter Emily, and friend Natalie fished the reefs off Bonita Beach with me. We caught a 27 inch gag grouper, which bit a small blue runner. We also caught six nice mangrove snapper and four good sized triggerfish, on live shrimp.

Sunday, Pat Fitzgerald and his two sons, with friend Brian and his son, headed to MAY Reef with me. They wanted the young boys, ages 7-11 to catch fish, and they immediately started catching snapper and jack cravalle, including 3 keeper-sized mangrove snapper. But the seas were pretty rough, and in 18 feet of water, it was rough enough to cause some seasickness, so we headed in a bit early. There was a dark cloud overhead anyway, and we got in just before the rain began.
8)
Captain Dave Hanson
Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
Bonita Beach, FL
(239) 947-1688
[email protected]
www.fishbustercharters.com
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Stella5000 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:15 am

sounds like u had a great day :o