Cabo San Lucas Fishing Report Feb 1st, 2020
Capt. Jerry Chapman
February 1, 2020
Cabo San Lucas - Saltwater Fishing Report
Jc's Sportfishing Weekly Fish Report.
As the Admiral Seas It
Fishing Report: 1/25/20 to 2/01/20
Stop by Our Office for up to Date Fishing Report
Marlin has been good at the light House and at the 95 Spot on mackerel and some on lures.
We caught: 6 marlin on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday, 6 on Friday and 3 on Saturday.
Has really slowed down this week, the water is getting cold. We are coming to the end of the season for dorado.
We caught: 6 dorados on Sunday, 11 on Monday, 10 on Tuesday and 7 on Wednesday.
Has been slow this week due to high wind and rough seas. Very few boats running out for them; some of the yachts have had ok results running out 38 miles outside the Jaime Banks.
We caught 1 skipjack on Tuesday,
Has been good for sierras at Rancho Migrino on hoochies and cut bait, few snapper and small grouper.
Jc's Sportfishing Charters is a family owned and operated business and has been fishing in Cabo San Lucas for the past 18 years. Jerry, explains that his charter business is geared more for families and novice anglers, making sure everyone who charters a boat with him have a great time and lots of fun. We welcome families, and groups. We want everyone who fishes with us to take all the sites in and have a memorable experience. This is what is most important to us. We have and do a few tournaments each year and can cater to fisherman who might be interested in tournament fishing. Well let's get on with the fishing report for this past week.
WEATHER: Taking a look at Cabo San Lucas over the coming two weeks and the average daytime maximum temperature will be around 23°C, with a high for the two weeks of 25°C expected on the afternoon of Sunday 9th. The mean minimum temperature will be 16°C, dipping to its lowest on the morning of Thursday 6th at 13°C. The coming 14 days will have mostly dry days although Sunday is likely to see a little rain. It looks like Sunday 2nd will have the most precipitation with an accumulation of around 6.0mm. On the whole winds are likely to be moderate.
This link which will show you water temperatures for the southern half of Baja. www.tempbreak.com/index.php?&cwregion=cb
From The Admirals Kitchen!
Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
FOR THE AVOCADO-LIME SLAW
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup cilantro roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp lime juice
4 tbsp jalapeños pickled, chopped. Or 1 fresh jalapeno: cored and seeded
½ tsp Kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
12 oz. slaw mix
FOR THE CHIPOTLE AIOLI
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves cloves minced
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder add more for increased heat, or regular chil powder for less heat
1 pinch Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE MAHI MAHI
1 ¼ lb mahi mahi fillets skinless, cut into 12 pieces (can aslo use also use fresh tuna steak)
4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
12 corn tortillas
½ cup fresh cilantro for garnish
½ cup thinly sliced radish for garnish
2 fresh jalapenos thinly sliced, for garnish
Hot sauce such as Tobasco, for garnish
MAKE THE AVOCADO-LIME SLAW
1. In a food processor, add the mayo, avocado, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, jalapenos, salt and pepper and pulse until completely blended.
2. Add the mayo-avocado mixture to the slaw and stir until fully coated. Set aside.
MAKE THE CHIPOTLE AIOLI
1. Stir together the mayo, garlic, lime juice, chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
PREPARE THE MAHI MAHI
1. Make the marinade by mixing together in a medium bowl the chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion and garlic powders, salt, pepper, lime juice, and olive oil.
2. Add the mahi mahi and turn to coat. Let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat your grill to high heat.
4. Place fish in a grill pan or cast iron skillet. Or, thread each fish piece with a skewer. Discard the left-over marinade.
5. Grill the fish, carefully turning once, until opaque and just cooked through, about 8 minutes total.
6. Heat the tortillas directly on the grill rack, or place in aluminum foil, and heat on the grill.
7. Place the cooked fish in the warmed tortilla and top with slaw, fresh cilantro, radishes, chipotle aioli, sliced jalapenos, and hot sauce.
SEX ON THE BEACH COCKTAIL
25ml peach schnapps
2 oranges, juiced, plus 2 slices to garnish
50ml cranberry juice
glacé cherries, to garnish (optional)
1. Fill two tall glasses with ice cubes. Pour the vodka, peach schnapps and fruit juices into a large jug and stir.
2. Divide the mixture between the two glasses and stir gently to combine. Garnish with the cocktail cherries and orange slices.
BEWARE: Please beware of the guys in the street selling boat charters. If you wait till the day you are fishing and go to the dock where your boat is many times people will mislead you to another boat or dock trying to put you on a boat that was not meant for you. You need to have a person guide you to your boat, who is from a reputable charter company. This way there is no confusion or misleading. Please remember when renting Sport fishing boats in Cabo that you rent your boat from reputable and established business. Walk into a fishing fleet office and ask questions about what you are getting and what are the costs? You don't want to rent boats from vendors in the streets and you do not want to book through shady websites offering you the world. Check through travel forums about reputable fishing fleets to deal with. Look for testimonials about the fleet your booking, your charter with. Ask about what will the boat be supplying? Will it include beverages or lunches? How much does it cost to fillet your catch? Check to see if charter boat is insured? Ask about getting your catch smoked? Check cost of a fishing license. These are just a few things to consider when booking your charter boat. We will be talking more about this in the next weeks fishing report. Until next time good fishing and we hope to see you in Cabo soon. Come by the office here in Cabo and get all the latest up to date fishing report.
More Fishing Reports: