Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

WHEN IT'S COLD, IT'S HOT!!!

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

WHEN IT'S COLD, IT'S HOT!!!

Postby captainbutch » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:53 pm

Today is Monday 11-21-05: The winds have us at bay this week. Don't know if they will let up for this weekend or not. The weather service is not talking favorable but they have been known to change their forecast at a moments notice!! Let's just keep our fingers crossed. But you know, it is that time of year where the "window of opportunity" gets smaller and you have to be able to go at a moments notice when you get a break!! Since fishing is on hold till the winds subside, I'll try to cover most of the fishing as it should be for the next couple of months providing we don't have any real unusual or bad weather: Our weather patterns are normally pretty good here in the Southport area, this provides us usually with good fishing all winter long!!! You can most likely find gray trout on the near shore reefs through Dec. and possibly longer along with those should be the Redfish. On the inside, an occasional flounder is possible, but your best target would be speckled trout. This fishery is good all winter long if it doesn't get too cold! Be sure to fish the oyster bars and points in the creeks and rivers. They like to lay on the downcurrent side and wait for a meal to be swept by on a moving tide. The king mackeral will be following the bait and warm water breaks. This will usually start at the horseshoe area and migrate farther offshore as the winter progresses. It is not uncommon to find the kings in the late winter as far off as 40 to 50 miles. Don't worry about live bait at this time, just pick up some frozen cigar minnows and go, they are not picky this time of year! Just remember, when you have every rod in the boat screaming for relief, there is a 3 fish per person limit unless you hold a federal king commercial permit. In other words, when you find these fish in winter, you could be limited out in 15 minutes!!! If the weather stays warmer than normal, there may still be a few king hanging around areas such as the shark hole, 18 mile rock, 15 mile rock. Another way to fish for kings is to pull Drone Spoons at around 5 knots on planers, this is not as much fun as light tackle fishing, but, if you are after meat only, you may want to go this route!! I have saved the best for last: BOTTOMFISHING is great in the winter months. Unlike in the heat of the summer where you have to go way offshore, the black bass will work their way closer inside!! You can usually encounter good black bass fishing as close as 10 to 15 miles off the beach. Now that may sound like a long ways out to some of you, but, that is considered inshore to a charter boat captain. As you venture farther out you will find more species such as B-liners, Gray Snapper, Grouper (in deep water), and out there you are most likely to find the BIG black bass!! If you can catch a calm day, I wouldn't hesitate to head for the Gulfstream. You should find some Wahoo's out there, you may even pick up some Tuna, most likely will be Black Fin, but in my opinion, these are the best tasting tuna anyway!!! It is not impossible to pick up a Mahi-Mahi or even a chance at a bill fish!! And don't forget our striper fishery, this usually starts in late December and will run into February. These fish can be caught along the waterfront in Wilmington. Slow trolled lures work well, Bucktail jigs with a trailer cast at the mouths of incoming creeks and canals will work also!!! This is a more relaxing type of fishing, that is until a big striper crashes your bait!! These brutes have got some power!!!The biggest factor in winter is the wind. Let me see if I can explain what happens this time of year!!! You go out in the warmer months in a 10 knot wind and it has little effect on the water, here's why: In summer the air is warm, thus this makes it light,(warm air rises) so it just skims across the water not having much push on the water because it is light. Now winter comes along, that 10 knot wind is now cold (cold air sinks) this cold air lays heavy on the water, therefore it has the ability to push the water more and all of a sudden that cold 10 knot wind has pushed up a 5 foot sea. Watch your weather in the cold months, if you are not sure, DON'T GO!!! But catch a calm day and some warm temps and you can experience some of the best fishing to be had out on one of GODS masterpieces that we call the Atlantic Ocean!!!! I'll see you on the water!!! Till next time, FISH ON!!!! Capt. Butch Foster. YEAH RIGHT CHARTERS, Southport,NC. (910)845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
For the finest fishing on the NC coast come fish with Capt. Butch on the "YEAH RIGHT" here in Southport, NC. Just give us a call and start the fishing trip of a lifetime!!! (910) 845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
captainbutch
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central