Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Reel Adventure..KINGS ON FIRE! Frying Pan Tower 3/31/06 pics

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

Reel Adventure..KINGS ON FIRE! Frying Pan Tower 3/31/06 pics

Postby Reel Adventure » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:49 pm

The winter redfishing has been great to say the least, but King Mackerel season has finally arrived! After having to cancel plans all winter due to weather and water temp it was nice to have everything line up perfectly for a tower trip, and trust me it has to line up PERFECTLY to run a bay boat offshore 40+ miles! David (aka KINGBUSTER) and his friend were as excited about this as I was and it was evident by everyone getting to the 5:30 am departure EARLY!! One last check of the weather...2-3' seas and 72 degree water temp at Frying Pan tower's online bouy and it was a go. We made 34 mph all the way to the tower. We deployed 3 king rods with dead cigars on them and at first all the fish came off the downrigger. The first king went just a bit over 20 lbs and it was non stop action for the rest of the trip! The kings moved from mid water column to the surface and you could see them explode and sky rocket on the bait we were trolling. The kings were thick and we limited out quickly. After the mission was accomplished it was time for fun.(I warned you I was going to do it!) We put out two ultra light trout rods with 10 lb Spiderwire stealth and cigar minnows and prayed a big king did not come along. Well he did..... I looked back at the rod in the downrigger and the rod tip was doubled over and almost in the water. I had the drag very light but quickly found that with these light rods no drag at all is best on the hook set. We had a awesome time with the light stuff and boated a few kings with them and got broke off a few times wich was expected. A few highlights of the trip...David was hooked up and he goes crazy, I look over and a 10' Hammerhead shark just crusies by 5 feet off of our bow, takes a peek at our king and keeps going! WOW! After that we were trolling by the legs of the tower when about 200-300 jacks came out to us. I quickly reel'd up the bait on the trout rod and they fought like dogs for it and inhaled it. Ten minutes later it broke us off! As we were about to depart and head back to Carolina Beach Inlet a large CG vessel pulls up and deploys a inflatable. The inflatable boarded and checked each vessel. As our turn came they pulled along side of us and checked us out and were on their way. They were very courteous and professional. I was suprised to be checked so far out!

We had a great day! It was so flat we ran 45 mph back in and made the inlet in no time. King buster and (forgot name) friend were great to have on board and fought the kings like pro's. The water temp at the tower climbed to 74 degrees during the middle of the day. On the way back bait was everywhere along with the albies and the temp near the schoolhouse was 65 degrees.

Dates are filling up fast, lets go fishing!
Capt. Matt Wirt
www.reel-adventure.com
Capt. Matt Wirt
Reel Adventure Charters
Next Level Custom Rods
www.reel-adventure.com
(910)-540-0570
Wilmington, NC
Reel Adventure
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central