Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Kona Hawaii fishing report - Nov. wrap-up

Baja to Seattle

Moderator: admin

Kona Hawaii fishing report - Nov. wrap-up

Postby Capt. Jeff Rogers » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Kona Hawaii fishing report – November wrap-up .

I normally get the monthly report out before the end of the month but I just got too busy to get it done by then so, better late than never. In last month’s report I said that the Fall mahi mahi run starts in October but we weren’t seeing any yet. They finally did show up and the bite is pretty good. Our Fall mahi mahi run only lasts a few months, October to December so I hope that because they showed up late that they will also leave late. Our Fall mahi mahi are also bigger in size that the ones we catch on the Spring run. Mahi mahi are a strong fighting fish so when they get over 40 lbs. it makes for a good fight.

There’s been some marlin around but like last month’s report, I would call the marlin bite just slightly above “fair”. There’s lots of small yellowfin tuna around right now and there has also been a bit of an ono bite going on. I scored a spearfish in the first week of the month. This is one of the slowest times for spearfish so it was quite a pleasant surprise. While mahi mahi is sure good eating, I personally prefer spearfish.

The bottom bite was just OK for November with the typical catches of shark, giant trevally, amberjack and almaco jack and another that surprised me. I didn’t mention it in last month’s report but near the end of October, we caught a yellowspot trevally. In all my years in Hawaii I’ve only seen less than a hand full. We caught another one just last week. Thinking out loud, I just wonder if the population of yellowspots is rising in Hawaii or could it just be coincidence? I suppose more time bangin’ the bottom will tell.

See ‘ya on the water ,
Capt. Jeff Rogers ,
http://FISHinKONA.com
Capt. Jeff Rogers
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Pacific Coast