Terms of Use
 Web Development

Kona Hawaii fishing report

Baja to Seattle

Moderator: admin

Kona Hawaii fishing report

Postby Capt. Jeff Rogers » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:08 am

Kona Hawaii fishing report – Sept. wrap-up

The marlin bite really turned on last week and this week. Just about every boat that has been fishing North of the airport and using live bait has been scoring. Most of the marlin are running between 100 and 200 lbs. though a few bigger girls have been hooked and lost (man I’m going to miss that lure). The bite is starting to taper down now. There were still a couple of boats that scored yesterday but nothing like it was earlier this week and last week where you could see several fights going on at once and even more marlin crashing bait schools on the surface. They’re feeding on skipjack tuna but some of those tuna are much bigger than bait size. Some of them that we’ve been catching are over 20 pounds and a lot of fun for the anglers on light tackle.

The bottom bite has been VERY good. The amberjack have been running bigger than normal with most of them in the 50 to 100 lb. range. There’s been no waiting for this bite to happen. As soon as you send one of those tuna (the smaller ones) toward the bottom, you’re hooked up! As many of you know that regularly read my reports, I love the bottom bite. I haven’t seen any big sharks in the area yet but I hook most sharks while bottom fishing. I expect that it won’t take too long for a real big one to come nosing around where all the action has been.

Other fish that have been coming into the docks recently are mahi mahi, ono, spearfish and ahi. Not a lot of ‘em but all really good eating stuff! I’ve been eating plenty of ono lately but what I really have my taste buds set for is some spearfish. I’ve been putting out my best spearfish lure but only seem to be hooking up to ono and small marlin with it. Fun action for my anglers on the stand-up tackle.

See `ya on the water,
Capt. Jeff Rogers ,
http://FISHinKONA.com
Capt. Jeff Rogers
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Pacific Coast