Terms of Use
 Web Development

Cairns Fishing Update

Any non-US location not included in other International Forums

Moderator: admin

Cairns Fishing Update

Postby Fishcairns » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:36 am

8) FISHING REPORT

Well the "wet" season is trying hard to develop but we have had no where near our average rainfall. The latest cyclone that is developing in the Gulf could be the catalyst that brings the monsoon trough down and we may get a late burst. Our rivers do need a good flush out every year. The Cape York region however is having a decent soaking and the fishing looks like being great next season.

Its all part of the cycle of life here in the Tropical north, a big wet means better breeding conditions and stock recruitment for our prime species like barramundi and prawns.

River & Estuary:

Its not all bad news though as the limited "fresh" has allowed dedicated anglers (with specific vessels) access to the rarely fished sweet water reaches of our tropical rivers. I have been lucky to have experienced some very successful trips to these waters in my Cairns Custom Craft 4 metre punt.

Along with fishing mate, Terry Holman from Fish Hunter fame, we have timed our assault to coincide with the big morning tides and use this increased water depth / river back up to traverse the lower rapids. We have had a ball using light spinning outfits on the willing populations of sooty grunter and jungle perch very active at this time of year. Our last two outings yielded captures of 55 and 71 fish respectively.

Wow…….that’s not bad for skinny water fishing and our last trip included 18 barra, 6 jacks, 3 trevally from the rapids mind you, 2 tarpon and heaps of sooty’s and JP’s. I can’t wait to go again next week.

The barras are also active down in the salt and great reports are coming in all the time. Plenty of jacks and trevally action also – this is a lure tosses paradise right now so get out there.

Some very happy clients just reported on their recent trip to Lake Tinaroo – home of monster barra. They fished with Jack Leighton and both brothers landed fish of over one metre.

Blue water / Light Tackle:

Its not a prime time outside but there is still plenty of action, the rain that we have had has cooled the reef waters considerably and more fish are on the chew. The usual coral trout, nannygai, red emperor and sweetlip are coming from the deeper structure. A few lone macks about and it won’t be long before the sailfish and dolphinfish are more consistent.

Hell it won’t be long until the marlin return – next season should be a bumper again but be warned. Many vessels are already booked out for the prime periods.

Cape York:

Anglers will be licking their lips in anticipation of fishing that early season run off – one of the best times for barra up the Cape. But be warned, the best guides are already booked out for the April / May period.

New Packages

We have been flat out sourcing new and varied product for our ever-growing world wide client list. I haven’t had time to put up specific pages on our web site as yet but we can now offer all types of fishing options for Cape York and Weipa in particular. From fully guided calm water trips, reef fishing and even self driven dinghies in full survey with safety gear provided – all you need is a boat licence or similar qualifications and we will point you in the right direction.

I am also looking at a remote safari camp operation, which will be another exciting addition along with a tropical island paradise half way between Cape York and New Guinea.

The worst part about all of this is that I’ll probably have to go and experience these new options first hand before I can promote them properly…….you know what they say about those *beep* jobs!

WATCH THIS SPACE FOR FURTHER DETAILS SOON.

New Office:

After 12 months my family have decided that they have had enough of unit life in the city. We have just sold our old family home at Trinity Beach, purchased a new home at Smithfield and relocated the office to this residence. Oh the joys of moving – I just hate it.

We may have had a few hiccups due to the move and I apologise if any messages / inquiries have gone astray. Our mailing address has remained the same ie. PO Box 109, Trinity Beach QLD 4879 however we have new phone and fax numbers as follows.

See you on the water.

Regards, Les Marsh

www.fishingcairns.com.au
The complete anglers guide to Australia's Great Barrier Reef and Tropical north Queensland - from marlin to barra - heavy tackle game, light tackle sport, lure & fly fishing - we cover the lot
Fishcairns
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Platinum » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:58 am

Hi Ya Les,
Good to see your very informative post, as always!!
[/img]
Nice fish huh ?
I will make a point of catching up with you next time Im up your way, got a little side tracked last time.
Good Fishing & best regards,
Paul Nash
Platinum

Return to International - Other