Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Need help on my first GPS Purchase

All Matters Dealing with Boats

Moderator: admin

Need help on my first GPS Purchase

Postby EinbahnStrasse » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:04 pm

I am planning to buy my first GPS. I have been comparison shopping for a while and found a few sites that seem to be doing a good job with pricing and customer service. I am still confused and undecided as to what to buy with all the various options. The folks at getfeetwet.com (quite helpful) have suggested the Garmin NUVI or 2720. I also saw that they had a factory refurbished Garmin 2610 unit for half the price. Any thoughts on these units? I like the price of the 2610 factory refurbished but I am not sure what I am giving up? Garmin gives 1 yr warranty on the refurb and looks like getfeetwet adds a 2nd yr to that. I was assured that they are as good as new. Has anybody purchased a Garmin Refurb?
EinbahnStrasse
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby SlimCady » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:26 pm

Check out Scuba Steve's it where I got my electronics etc. etc. Great guy and great prices. Garmin's refurbs are fine they come with the same warranty as the new units. The units you mention are all automotive oriented and not waterproof. I wouldn't take them out on my boat. Anyway call Scuba Steve he can help you better than I www.scubasteve.biz.
SlimCady
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby EinbahnStrasse » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:14 pm

Other companies do not give out free 2nd year warranties. I and i was curious weather it means that these refurbs are like non-reliable items thats why getfeetwet.com is giving out free 2nd year warranties.
EinbahnStrasse
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby SlimCady » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:15 pm

EinbahnStrasse wrote:Other companies do not give out free 2nd year warranties. I and i was curious weather it means that these refurbs are like non-reliable items thats why getfeetwet.com is giving out free 2nd year warranties.

Just curious I checked out this site as I'm always interested in a good supplier. Why would I pay $799 for a nuvi 350 that I can get it for $657 at the other guy. You can get an aftermarket warranty for probably $50 like they try to sell you at Best Buy on just about anything made. I hardly doubt the warranty is worth the almost $150 price difference. Certainly not to me. The extra warranty may be worth the high price for some but not for me. Cheers.
SlimCady
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby EinbahnStrasse » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:31 pm

a friend of mine got it from them thier nuvi prices are high cause of the free next day shipping. but my friend asked for a "better deal" and thier price suddenly went down. Cheaper than everyone else. I talked to mike about it and he said that its because of the MRP thing.
EinbahnStrasse
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Boating