Terms of Use
 Web Development

The best fishing days in my life!

Fly Fishing Methodologies and Philosophies

Moderator: admin

The best fishing days in my life!

Postby tarponhombre » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:17 am

Captain Rosario,

Thank you for two of the best fishing days in my life! 24 tarpon, on flies, in one day! My brother Frank and I had an absolutely wonderful experience with you. The day before we caught the two dozen tarpon, we caught 10 with you and I simply didn't believe we could do any better. We caught them sight fishing in crystal clear water (4-6 ft.), in deeper water (20-30 ft.) and in the shallows (2-3 ft.). We caught tarpon around boat slips, in the middle of bays, along sandy beaches and along rocky breakers. You certainly know your spots and how (and when) to pick them.

I do have to tell you that when we first went out on that second day and anchored in the middle entrance of a two mile wide bay, first thing in the morning, and you said the tarpon like to come here on Sundays, I thought to myself, well, at least yesterday was good fishing - today, I guess we'll be mostly practicing our casting. Fortunately, I couldn't have been more wrong. You know where the fish are and we certainly got into them there for several hours of steady action. I guess the best story of the day was my catching six tarpon on three casts - I would hook one, it would throw the fly somewhere in the middle of the fight, another tarpon would pick it up and we'd bring it to the boat. I've never seen anything like it. Talk about exciting action! And the fish - "huge" doesn't begin to describe them. I saw one rolling that had a back that looked like a decent sized dolphin. Most of the ones we caught were in the 30-50 lb. range, and man-o-man, these were tough, flying fish to hang on to.

I've fly-fished for and caught all 5 types of Pacific salmon and they didn't hold a candle to these tarpon. I don't think I've ever seen fish leap and fight all the way in like them. They are spectacular - I remember the first tarpon my brother caught - about 60 lbs. and it tore out line like it wasn't ever going to stop and the tail-walks/head shakes were amazing sights. I think we chased that first fish for at least a 1/2 hr. and at least a 1/2 mile before we got it to the boat.

I brought my own rods and reels but ended up using a lot of yours - thanks for supplying such high grade fly fishing equipment and your recommendations on flies. I also appreciate your hard work ethic and willingness to cheerfully put up with a couple of beginner tarpon fishermen. My brother and I went out fly fishing near the airport in San Juan earlier in the week and we spent the first hour watching the guide throw his cast net for some minnows. In sharp contrast, when you picked us up - the live well was already stocked and we were out and fishing in short order. I also appreciate your "catch and release" policy, silver kings certainly deserve this treatment (besides, I hope to one day return with you and catch them all over again...).

Another thing that I still find hard to believe was the fact that in two full days of fishing with you for tarpon, along many miles of inshore water, we never saw another guide. In two days of fishing, on a weekend, no less, we saw a total of two other fishing boats, the closest about a 1/2 mile away. With this tarpon fishery in Boqueron, I'm stunned that the place isn't packed with fly-fishermen elbowing one another out of the way.

My brother and I would certainly return fishing with you in a heartbeat if we got the chance. I talked to him today and he's already scheming a way to get us back next year. The 75 pounder that wrapped my line around a pier and snapped me off, still haunts me, and I won't be able to get his leaping form out of my dreams until I return.

Thanks again for a most memorable trip.

John Panizczyn
San Antonio, TX
www.lighttackleadventure.8k.com
[email protected]
Capt.Francisco Pochy Rosario
tel.1-787-547-7380
1-787-849-1430
Full time fly fishing guides
tarponhombre
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jessica » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:02 am

Ok, Well I´m glad you could do some fishing, although the curfews are the worst, where I lived as a child, in Peru, we had curfews as well and you couldn´t even walk on the street after curfew, and we had masking tape on our windows to keep them from shattering and going all over the place in cases bombs went off, and you could hear bombs exploding in other neighborhoods at night. Have strenght, that it will get better for you!
jessica
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Fly Fishing