Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

East Central Florida Report

St. Marys River to Jupiter Inlet

Moderator: admin

East Central Florida Report

Postby Capt. Chris » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:23 pm

Although we spent some time dodging storms this week, when the weather was good, the fishing and catching were excellent. Monday, I fished with Mark Kaplan and Greg Mikkelson in the Indian River. Our trip had been cut short last week due to storms. At first light, we fished for some tarpon. We saw a few and watched another boat catch one on a fly but could not seen to get the fish to roll near our boat. After several hours, we left the tarpon and went to watch the Shuttle land. After the landing, I searched for some reds but heavy clouds hampered sight fishing. I spotted some birds diving on large school of glass minnows and for the next couple hours, Mark and Greg caught ladyfish, sail cats, silver trout, and bluefish on anything they threw out. Several fish were caught on a bare jighead. They caught more fish than we could count and we left them biting to try for some reds again. I spotted a few small schools of reds but they were very spooky and did not give us much of a shot. Just as I located a school of big redfish, the storms came in and lightening drove us off the water.

Tuesday, Paul Dalton and his six year old son Cole joined me in the Mosquito Lagoon. The weather was perfect. We quickly found several schools of upper and over slot fish. Cole was the first to hook up and fought a nice red with only a little assistance.

Paul caught another red but the schools were not feeding well so we moved on. The next spot held several schools of black drum and another school of redfish. Paul landed two black drum and one red with Cole's help including one black drum of 24 pounds.

Paul and Cole also caught several trout on a rootbeer DOA shrimp around schools of mullet to compete the slam. An Excellent day was had by all.

Wednesday, Greg Scott from Indialantic and Dan Miller from Orlando fished with me in the Mosquito Lagoon. We found a small group of big reds and Greg landed the first fish.

A short time later, Dan hooked up with one that was even bigger but the hook pulled free when the fish was next to the boat. We left those fish and moved to another location. Dan got on the board with a nice black drum and a redfish. He followed up a bit later with a trout on a DOA shrimp for a Mosquito Lagoon slam.

As our time was running out, we began to see numerous singles and small groups of reds cruising in two feet of water but could not fool any more into biting.

Thursday, Sue Wells and her brother Greg made their first trip to Mosquito Lagoon. Greg landed a red out of a big school of fish at our first stop. Those fish vanished and we moved on to look for some bigger reds. We found hundreds of them but they had a case of lockjaw. We tried multiple types of natural and artificial baits but could not convince any of them to bite. We switched over to trout fishing and both caught some on a rootbeer DOA shrimp. Black storm clouds were rapidly approaching so we were forced to fish very close to the ramp the rest of the day. A few more trout were landed and the weather never gave us a chance to look for more reds.

Saturday, I was in the Mosquito Lagoon with Dave Defile and his son, Nick. Despite the heavy boat traffic due to a tournament, we still managed to boat some nice fish. Dave struck first with a big redfish he caught with just barely enough light to see the school.

After the first fish, several other boats arrived and the bite shut down. Our second stop was full of singles, doubles and small schools of reds but Dave and Nick were not able to hook up. We made a run to another spot and hit the jackpot. A school of big reds we had all to ourselves in the middle of the day. Father and son combined for three nice fish including one by Dave that was 47”.

For the next two weeks, I will be on a fishing vacation with my wife in Stuart. With luck, I will have some photos of some big tarpon and snook to post when I return.

Capt. Chris Myers
http://www.floridafishinglessons.com
Capt. Chris
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Florida - East Coast