Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

East Central Florida Report

St. Marys River to Jupiter Inlet

Moderator: admin

East Central Florida Report

Postby Capt. Chris » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:06 pm

Wind, wind, and more wind. That was the dominant factor in this weeks fishing adventures.

Tuesday, I fished the Mosquito Lagoon hoping to find some hungry fish for my upcoming charters. I found a school of slot sized fish right away and caught one on a gold Capt. Joe's Shredder rigged weedless before moving on to another area. My next stop held a few cruising singles and I caught 2 more slot reds on a gold DOA 4 inch jerk bait. As the wind picked up, I switched over to the gold DOA Baitbuster which has been very productive the past month. I caught one over slot red and lost two more before calling it a day as the cloud cover thickened and the water became choppy.

The next two days, I fished with Marshall and Gary from south Florida. High winds and a white capped Lagoon limited our fishing options. We decided the most comfortable and easiest way to deal with the conditions was to put out some bait and let the fish come to us. Wednesday afternoon, we fished only two spots and caught six reds from 26-32 inches on cut ladyfish. Thursday morning, we managed to get in a half hour of trout fishing
and the guys caught 8-10 trout using a rootbeer DOA Shrimp under a Cajun Thunder float. As the wind increased, we tucked into a lee in the Indian River and caught six more redfish from 25-31 inches. A quick stop in the Mosquito Lagoon yielded two more redfish. Despite the adverse weather, Gary and Marshall landed 14 reds in two days and we had a few more that got away.

Although the water level in both Lagoons is continuing to recede, the winds of the past few days dirtied the water on all but the shallowest flats. As soon as the wind subsides, however, the sight fishing should be outstanding.

Capt. Chris Myers
http://www.floridafishinglessons.com
Capt. Chris
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Florida - East Coast