Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Salmon Fishing Puzzle Solved!

Fishing in and around the Great Lakes region including all tributaries and adjoining states.

Moderator: admin

Postby Jim Blue Max Charters » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:40 pm

By Captain Jim Hirt
Salmon in particular and many other species can be especially finicky and difficult to catch. As all types of fish are unique in their habitat there is some common threads in their DNA. The common factors and threads are the parts of the puzzle that, when fitted together, will solve some of your most difficult questions. Now let's explore the common threads.

Forage is huge!

Forage relates to what your quarry likes to eat and in some cases will eat when necessary. Your research in this area must include local anglers along with bait shops and Internet or magazines. The season, water temperature and ecosystem are all important in your decision. Focus on size, color and location for the best results.

Seasonal patterns

All fish have different preferences as they go through their annual life cycles. Pay special attention to this part of the puzzle. Most anglers know when their target spawns but there is much more to this equation. Each locale will be different and if the second week in April is the time for the bass to be on the spawning beds in your area this may not be true if you are fishing three hundred miles north or south of your location. Observation is key. Look to where you usually find fish and without satisfactory results expand your search.

Temperature is everything

When I do my seminars I constantly harp on temperature as a major player in productive consistent angling. Consider your fishing target much like an opponent in a sport. By knowing the temp preference of the target you will be a leg up on the other anglers. This knowledge will eliminate tons of non-productive water. Temperature will tell you about the attitude and most likely location to fish. A temp that is near the optimum or ideal for your species can be approached with your most aggressive baits and presentations. On the other hand warm water fish that are in cold water will require a slower and perhaps smaller lures or baits.

Summary

Consider all three forage, seasonal patterns and temperature when trying to solve the fishing puzzle and you will be on your way to becoming a better angler. The next article will continue with more parts of the puzzle to complete or at least give some shape and direction to the sport of angling. Adjust to meet conditions and you will become a better angler. Do you like to blog? I have just launched my fishing community at http://www.jimhirt.com Come offer your comments, knowledge and please ask questions. Good Luck let's go fishing! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyright © 2010, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved
[url=http://www.bluemaxcharters.com]Captain Jim Hirt
Image[/url]
Jim Blue Max Charters
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Great Lakes Regoin