Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

The What, Where & When of Bait fish

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

The What, Where & When of Bait fish

Postby Martins Loonacy » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:12 am

This must be the biggest mistery of fishing, finding bait! I got my boat a couple of months ago which has been a dream of mine for all my life. Now my real concern is where's the bait!. I have seached everywhere from ten thousand Islands to Gov. Cut looking for these critters. NO LUCK :( I tried to buy them, $1.75 a pinfish :shock: All i need for wreck fishing are live bait. Please give some info on the What, Where and When of catching live bait. PLEASE!!!!![/b]
Martins Loonacy

Postby topangler » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:51 am

You should be able to catch pinfish anywhere you can find a good grass flat. I don’t know where you fish, but the entire west shore of Biscayne Bay has nice turtle grass and loaded with pin fish.

Just drift or anchor with a chum bag over the side and you will attract pinfish. Use REALLY SMALL pieces of shrimp on hair hooks to catch. Use a small weight (split shot) if the conditions warrant…
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton
topangler
Old Salt
Old Salt

Postby HeaVEEweight » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:51 pm

I've always had great success finding pinfish at the leaning range marker just outside of givernment cut in Miami. As stated above, bait a hook with shrimp for best results.

Also, you can find bait (pilchards and threadfins) inside the cut. Slack tide is tough because the water is clear an they won't bite as well. Use your recorder to mark them. Also try using #6 or #4 sabikis. These are small, but have worked great for me.

Good luck!

Tony
HeaVEEweight

Postby Ryncrash » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:25 pm

Finding isn't hard just need a good Casting net and get around some grass flats and creek mouths, and you will find alot of Pin Fish and Mullet on these mouths and flats. With all the Rain we have been haveing the bait fish are getting harderd to find but, it have been letting up some and we are going to see Snook Season Opening soon and The Bait fish will be all over.. I cant Wait....

1. GET A CASTING NET

2. Look in the flat or tide pools for moving water, marines are good

3. Stand very still and just watch the water move around you when the rips get strong throw your net on them.

4 you will net a small school of Pin or mullet, 3 or 4 time of that and you have bait for the day..

5 This Sould take about 20 mins to do then go hook that big one
how do i tie a not.
Ryncrash
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby GetnSum » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:30 pm

One more know spot is a ranger marker (Bug Light) it just south of stils vil . achor , chum & use sabaki rig . Or there alway the bait boat 305 8548702.
Tight Lines.
Glenn
GetnSum
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Postby Stella5000 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:46 pm

Well if u go around the piers u can usually get pilchards, sardines, runners, pinfish, and cigar minnows.. Or u can Call Rays live bait for 25$ a dozen for pilchards....tightlines :)
Stella5000
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Florida - Southeast