Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Deep Sea Sport Fishing Fort Lauderdale Topshotfishing Happy

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Deep Sea Sport Fishing Fort Lauderdale Topshotfishing Happy

Postby Capt. Zsak » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:55 pm

So far April is shaping up to be a productive month. The current is moving, the wind is blowing, and fish are migrating through the area.

When I say moving current, I am referring to the body of water moving to the northern or southern direction, and we prefer a northern current. This gets fish up and active moving along with the reefs, edges, wrecks, and structures, inclusive of pelagic and bottom fish. Adding an easterly wind helps condense a large body of water along the reef.

April brings a migration of Sharks, Sailfish, Tunas, Mahi Mahi, King Mackerel and Wahoo.

Shark fishing can be accomplished in many ways but, generally speaking, we are fishing mostly dead baits. The preferred bait is a Bonita, which is cut open to release the blood and oils, attracting the Sharks. In addition to dead baits, I will also fish live baits for any fish coming along the edge.

Sailfish have been and continue to move along the South Florida coastline, which started in the winter and will continue through summer. I use two methods to catch Sailfish - one is live Ballyhoo fishing - first catching the live baits, then slow trolling them over the reef. I have a lot of success fishing in depths of 100 feet of water out to 200 feet of water and depending on the day and current will determine if these fish will be traveling in deeper waters. We use light spin tackle with 25-pound main line, which makes for a great fight. The second method I use is live bait kite fishing, which is flying two kites and fishing four baits. The baits are on the surface which is attractive to a Sailfish when splashing around making a commotion. Same as mentioned earlier, the boat is positioned in an area or depth where the current and water color points towards the movement of the Sailfish.

For Tuna and Wahoo, I fish a combination spread of larger baits for Wahoo and smaller baits for Tuna. We successfully find both species trolling at a higher speed moving the baits on and off the reef fishing the current edges. The size of the Tunas can range from 5 to 25 pounds with the occasional 30+, fishing a spread of 6 lines with two deep planners which gets around 50 feet deep and 4 surface lines. We are catching a decent amount of Wahoo, and when they hit the line, there is no mistaking it’s a Wahoo. When they strike it’s a classic long run against the drag and violently shaking their heads. Both Tuna and Wahoo are excellent eating both raw and/or cooked.

The vessel is a 52’ Hatteras sportfish with a full tower, navigation electronics, salon, galley, and full *beep* with all the fishing tackle provided. To book a Fort Lauderdale fishing charter please contact Capt. Zsak at 954-439-8106 or send an e-mail to: [email protected]
Attachments
fishing fort lauderdale (3).jpeg
fishing fort lauderdale (3).jpeg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 13680 times
Capt. Zsak
Old Salt
Old Salt

Return to Florida - Southeast