Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Hammerhead & 'cuda fun; snapper,sheepshead,mackerel,flou

East Cape to Englewood

Moderator: admin

Hammerhead & 'cuda fun; snapper,sheepshead,mackerel,flou

Postby fishbuster » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:46 pm

I remained in port for a rainy Monday this week. Tuesday was still to rough to head offshore, so I fished in the back- bay with Bill Hoover, Ron & Ben Griggs, and friend, Joe. We caught and released ladyfish, big stingray, and small snook to 17 inches in some pretty muddy bay water.

Fishing Wednesday, about 17 miles out New Pass with live shrimp, we caught a mess of lane snapper and mangrove snapper, and released short grouper and sheepshead, as well as lots of blue runners. I am hoping the plentiful blue runners might be foretelling for the arrival of kingfish, now that the water is warming up.

Thursday, 8-16 miles out New Pass, it was rough and sloppy, with a stiff wind all ready blowing, preceding the arrival of our weekend cold front. We fished with live shrimp and cut-bait, and we caught lane snapper to 12 inches, a 22 inch Spanish mackerel, and released small gag and red grouper. The most exciting part of the day was when we got spooled by an eight to nine foot hammerhead shark, on an 80 lb. grouper rod. He ate a butterflied grunt, and I couldn’t pull anchor quite fast enough to prevent losing the line.

The Brad Hayes party fished the artificial reefs off Bonita with me on Friday. It was rough, even close in at the 5-mile reef, with 25 knot winds and 4 foot seas. We caught keeper sheepshead, mangrove snapper, lane snapper, flounder and Spanish mackerel. We also had a barracuda eat a mackerel we were reeling in, and fought him until he jumped off.

Predictions for Saturday are for rain and rough seas.

The photo shown is of a 17 inch sheepshead, caught on a recent backwater trip in Estero Bay.

8) Image
Captain Dave Hanson
Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
Bonita Beach, FL
(239) 947-1688
[email protected]
www.fishbustercharters.com
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - Southwest