Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

* Gators *

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

* Gators *

Postby flygal06 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:20 pm

This may be a dumb question, but in Tampa/Sarasota Bay area does one have to keep a lookout for Alligators - are they a problem in salt/brackish waters? I plan to flyfish the flats in the bays and wade around the mouth of the Manatee River.
:?
flygal06

Postby snook712 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:55 pm

I was born and raised in Clearwter and never saw a gator in the bay. I guess they could get out there. The further up you get in the rivers and creeks, you start seeing them. They reall prefer fresh water but can be opportunistic if a lot of food is available.
snook712

Postby mntaxidermy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:47 pm

I agree with snook. I think they prefer fresher water but i could see them moving into more brackish if they were having problems finding food. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
mntaxidermy

Postby tampapi » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:40 am

I never thought gators would venture into salt water until one day we were sking in Dona Bay down in Venice. I'm floating in the water waiting to take off and about 30 yards from me is a gator sitting there checking me out. I got in the boat and we went out into the gulf. From what I heard from the guys at Tiki, the gator hung around for quite awhile in the bay. So my point being, anything is possible!
tampapi
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby MangroveFisherman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:33 am

I really doubt they will go in any water that has any salt, they are made for freshwater, but i am not quite sure. As for brackish water, maybe.... :D
MangroveFisherman
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby AlaskaFishingGuy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:56 pm

I think it would be prety unlikely. I grew up in FL lived there for over 20 years and have been wade fishing in the bay and estuaries for over 10 years... I have never seen a gator in salt or brackish water.

Is it possible, sure... but I think that you would stand a far higher (although still rare) chance of running into a bull shark or just simply drowning.
- The Alaska Fishing Guy
Alaska Fishing
AlaskaFishingGuy
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - West Coast