Terms of Use
 Web Development

Tampa Bay Fishing Report....5/25/2010

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Tampa Bay Fishing Report....5/25/2010

Postby MangroveMan » Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Tampa bay Fishing Report 5/25/2010
Temperatures are warming and the fishing is HOT!!
After a long winter and harsh cold fishing around the Tampa Bay area is heating up and there is sunshine on the horizon. The first species I have been targeting is redfish. I have been concentrating my fishing on areas with mullet schools in 2 to 3 feet of water over grass edges and oysters. Working through these mullet schools with a ¼ ounce gold spoon or a DOA jerkbait in greenback color has been producing some excellent catches. I prefer to fish incoming tides when targeting redfish, but as with any type of saltwater fishing, concentrate your fishing time around moving water periods and your efforts should pay off with some great catches.
The second species I have been targeting has been seatrout. With water temperatures finally climbing into the mid to high 70’s the large seatrout have invaded the entire bay area and have been a saving grace with the slow snook bite and closure. I have been finding most of the seatrout over 4 to 6 feet of grass using popping corks and a gulp shimp on a jighead or live greenbacks under a small cork. When using a cork, depth control is key to catching fish. The amount of leader to use under the cork should be determined by water depth. The goal is to have your bait swimming just above the grass, so for example if the water is 4ft deep, and the grass is generally 1 foot off the bottom, then you would want about 3 feet of leader between your cork and your bait. This allows your bait to stay in the strike zone and not become hung up in the grass.
The last major species I am targeting have been tarpon. Look for the tarpon action to be best around the full and new moon periods during June and July when the pass crabs flow out of the bay with the afternoon outgoing tides. Although the major areas like the skyway and Egmont key get most of the tarpon attention, I prefer to work some lesser known areas of the bay where the current and sandbanks funnel the fish into swimming lanes. This usually allows the fisherman to sight fish these tarpon and often generates unbelievable strikes very close to the boat. A live threadfin, live pass crab or well placed black and purple tarpon toad can often trigger a ferocious strike.
Overall fishing around the bay area is strong as ever and with the right conditions, can be downright outstanding. Call now and book your trip today!!!

Captain Rob Salimbene
Mangrove Man Charters
http://www.mangroveman.com

MangroveMan

Return to Florida - West Coast