Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Sugar Bowl: Where is it?

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Sugar Bowl: Where is it?

Postby gaox » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm

I've been doing a lot more reading about fishing than actual doing it. Now that my life is going my way, I aim to get out a lot more often. One area that has piqued my interest, whether it be a real hot spot, or not, is an area off Homosassa River called the Sugar Bowl. I don't think this is anyone's hotspot, so can anyone be more definitive as to where it is? I'm running a 20' pontoon boat with jack plate, Power Pole and a 75# trolling motor. I can get in and out of most places. Hope to hear from someone on this soon. Thank you for your time. Gary/Homosassa
gaox

Re: Sugar Bowl: Where is it?

Postby Capt. Rick Grassett » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:43 am

I am in Sarasota, about 100 miles away, and I've never heard of the Sugar Bowl. You might check with Capt. Mike Locklear, a longtime guide in Homossassa.
Capt. Rick Grassett is a full time fishing guide specializing in lures and flies fishing the flats and coastal gulf waters near Sarasota, FL. He is also a Federation of Fly Fishers fly casting instructor.
Capt. Rick Grassett
Old Salt
Old Salt

Postby onthemarkcharters » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:48 am

I have never heard of the sugar bowl. Sounds like you are looking North of my area Tampa Bay. Sory I can't be of help.

Capt Steven
Captain Steven Markovich
onthemarkcharters
Old Salt
Old Salt

Postby locklear » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Sugar Bowl is a local name for a place off the mouth of the Homosassa River about a couple miles square. It is just southwest between the first island coming inland west of the Homosassa River. It is open water and the flats vary in depths from 2-6 feet of water. Mason Creek lies to the southeast of this location. If you were to draw a line due south of Marker 26 and line up Marker 22 to the west, you would pretty much be in the middle of it. If you were you work your way inland to the mangrove islands east of there, that the eastern side of the bowl. It is very shallow there and rocky. You need an incoming tide for venturing in there. Good luck fishing.
locklear
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Florida - West Coast