Moderator: admin

Tampa Bay Report 11/24/04

Postby captchuck » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:20 am

Vortex Charters Fishing Report
11-24-2004
Captain Chuck MacIntyre
Vortex Charters of Tampa Bay
www.vortexcharters.com

Some of the biggest Kingfish of the year were caught last week along the beaches of Pinellas County. As the last push of fish moves southward, the biggest fish are the last to migrate. To find them, you must put in the time and effort---or get lucky like I did last Saturday.
Fishing with Tampa residents Barry Rice and Candice Gonzales, the plan that day was to head offshore for a couple of Gag Grouper ; then finish the day trolling for Kings on the beach. Their plan was to bring a couple of filets to a local tavern that night for some dinner and good times. With winds higher than expected that morning, we struggled to put a couple of keepers in the box. They had many chances, but some of these Gags were just too quick. In the afternoon, the seas subsided and we headed in.
Noticing that not a soul was trolling the beach, I wondered if any Kings were left.
I wasn’t wondering long as the first rod screamed just after being set in the rodholder.
Then the line went slack. Barry said “ He must have got off”.
I yelled for him to continue reeling, as sometimes these fish will make a run for the boat.
Within a few seconds, his rod was bent again and line was just peeling off the reel.
I started the boat and started chasing the fish when I saw it leap out of the water some 200 yards away! WHOA! This was a monster!
Within 15 minutes, Barry had it right next to the boat. I gaffed it on the first try, but had a lot of trouble lifting it into the boat.
This beast bottomed out the scale at Dons Dock—estimated weight -à over 50 pounds!
I would have sure wanted to see the faces of those people in the bar that night as Barry and Candice carried that fish in!

Capt. Chuck MacIntyre
www.vortexcharters.com
[/img]
Capt. Chuck
captchuck
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Florida - West Coast