Web Development

Lake Fork Report & Pics—September 9, 2007

Texas - Port Arthur to Brownsville

Moderator: admin

Lake Fork Report & Pics—September 9, 2007

Postby tom redington » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:16 pm

A few of the many quality bass that Jerome and Becky caught:

Greg with a crankbait lunker just a couple ounces under 8 lbs:

Tournament season is in full swing on Lake Fork, with 4 tournaments yesterday and the McDonald’s Big Bass Splash, Berkley Big Bass tourney, and many others happening in the next few weeks. Just in time, lots of keeper sized bass are showing up in the shallows, while big fish are still available for the experienced structure fisherman. As the lake continues to cool, Fork will turn over in the next couple of weeks and fishing will become very good both shallow and deep in October and November. With much of the angling emphasis on tournament fishing at Fork right now, my report will focus on those patterns.

As a side note, for more information on shallow water fall fishing, my September article is now posted on my website: http://www.lakeforkguidetrips.com/fishingarticles.htm

Lake Conditions: After a 3” rain this week, Lake Fork’s water level is now steady, currently reading 403.30’, about 4” above full pool. The higher water levels have flooded a bunch of shallow vegetation that is holding fish and is acting as a nursery for young baitfish and bass. Meanwhile, there is an inside grassline at about 6’ and a deep weedline in 8’ to about 13’. The main lake remains stained in most areas, while the creeks are ranging from clear to muddy. Water temps dropped during the past week, reading from 81 to 86 in the main lake. The thermocline is still showing at about 25’ to 28’ but the lake is starting to show signs of turning over, which typically occurs around mid-September.

Location Pattern: The most consistent pattern this past week has been fishing shallow grassbeds on the main lake and in the first half of major creeks. Early and late and all day on cloudy and windy days, I’m focusing on shoreline grass, openings in clumps of grass, and the inside weedline. When the sun gets up, concentrate on the deep weed edge in 8’ to 13’. Key on points, inside turns, and along ledges and you’re likely to find more fish. Most of the shallow fish have been in groups, so you’ll fish for a while without getting a bite, then catch several in a small area. I’m also starting to catch a few fish back in the coves along creek channel bends but this pattern hasn’t really picked up yet like it will as the water cools. For bigger bass, many fish are still suspending in timber or in open water over deep structure. These fish are holding 12’ to 25’ down over deeper water, so watch your graph closely to pinpoint their location.

Presentation Pattern: As fall approaches, bass will start keying on shad and most of my lure choices and colors will reflect that preference. Shades of white or chrome are always good choices in the fall on Fork. In the shallows, topwaters are catching a few fish early and late. More consistent are shallow running crankbaits, small spinnerbaits, and Lake Fork Tackle’s new 4.5” Live Magic Shad swimbait. Rig the swimbait weedless Texas style with a 1/16th oz weighted hook and slowly swim it over the grass. Hits have been pretty hard and easy to detect. When the bass aren’t in a chasing mood, I’m switching to a Texas rigged watermelon/red or watermelon candy 8” Fork Worm or Twitch Worm with a 1/8th oz bullet sinker and working it over the tops of grass and along the edges. For bigger fish, a 3/8 oz watermelon red Mega Weight Jig with a matching Fork Craw trailer is producing well when pitched to the deep weed edge. For the suspended bass out deep, weighted 4.5” and 5.5” Live Magic Shad swimbaits, spoons, or deep diving crankbaits in shad or yellow bass patterns are working best and catching some lunkers too. The key is counting your bait down to the level of the bass and keeping it in front of them for as much of the retrieve as possible.

My 2007 Ranger Z21 boat is now for sale. I picked it up in late October of last year and it is full loaded, rigged with a 250 HP Yamaha with a 5 year warranty. It’s value priced and will save you about $10,000 off the cost of a new boat. For more details and pics of the boat, please check my website or drop me a note.

Here’s hoping you catch the lunker of your dreams. If I can be of assistance, please contact me at 214-683-9572 (days) or 972-635-6027 (evenings) or e-mail me through http://www.LakeForkGuideTrips.com , where your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Good Fishing,

Tom
tom redington
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Gulf Coast - Western