Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Lake Fork Report & Pics—November 5, 2007

Texas - Port Arthur to Brownsville

Moderator: admin

Lake Fork Report & Pics—November 5, 2007

Postby tom redington » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:30 am

Edwin with his biggest bass ever. An even bigger one tried to steal his yellow bass at the boat a few casts later!

A nice crankbait bass:

Fishing on Lake Fork was slower than normal this past week for us. Apparently, the warming trend forestalled the good fall bite we were enjoying in October. With another cold front coming tonight and cooler temps forecast this week, look for the bite to dramatically improve as shad gang up in the backs of creeks and on main lake structure. November is historically a good month for numbers of fish, so I don’t anticipate the funk will last for long.

With the holidays just around the corner, I do have gift certificates available for those looking for a present for their angling buddies. 2007 has been a fantastic year on Fork, benefiting from ample rains and a full lake. With prespawn starting in late-December, it won’t be long until my favorite lunker time of the year is here, January through March. And with the lake in such good shape, Fork should be awesome in ’08.

Lake Conditions: Fork is 3” below full pool right now, currently reading 402.75’ and dropping very slowly. The lake is full of aquatic vegetation, with a deep weedline anywhere from 8’ to about 15’. The main lake is slightly stained, while the creeks are ranging from clear to stained. Water temps slowly warmed last week, reading from 67 to70 in the main lake yesterday (Sunday).

Location Pattern: The best pattern for numbers of fish continues to be fishing shallow grassbeds on the main lake and in the first half of major creeks. Early and late and all day on cloudy and windy days are the best times. I’m focusing on shoreline grass, openings in clumps of grass, and the inside weedline. When the sun gets up, concentrate on the deep weed edge in 8’ to 15’. Key on points, inside turns, and along ledges and you’re likely to find more fish. Most of the shallow fish have been in groups, so you’ll fish for a while without getting a bite, then catch several in a small area. I’m also catching some bass back in the coves along creek channel bends but this pattern hasn’t really picked up yet like it will as the water cools. For bigger bass, concentrate on main lake structure in 15’ to 35’. Find the schools of yellow bass and the big largemouth will be with them.

Presentation Pattern: During fall, bass will key on shad and most of my lure choices and colors reflect that preference. Shades of white or chrome are always good choices in the fall on Fork. In the shallows, lipless crankbaits, 3/8 oz spinnerbaits, and shallow running crankbaits have been my best choice. When the bass aren’t in a chasing mood, I’m switching to a Texas rigged watermelon/red or watermelon candy 8” Lake Fork Worm, Twitch Worm, or Baby Fork Creature with an 1/8th oz bullet sinker and working it over the tops of grass and along the edges. Other times, Magic Shads and Live Magic Shads in watermelon worked weightless over the grass beds are catching fish best. For bigger fish, a 3/8 oz blue bruiser Mega Weight jig with a matching Fork Craw trailer is your best bet when pitched to the deep weed edge or stumps along the creek channel. Out deep, Twitch Worms in shades of watermelon are working well on drop shots, as are Carolina rigged Baby Ring Frys, when bass are located on the bottom. Both of these techniques will produce numbers of bass as well as big fish. For the suspended bass, I’m starting with Lake Fork Tackle’s new big Fork Flutter Spoon in the Yellow Bass or Magic Shad colors. These catch fewer yellow bass and are great for catching really big bass. If the bass are finicky and won’t hit the big spoons, I’m throwing small ½ oz spoons and 1 oz tail spinners and catching some largemouth and lots of yellow bass with these.

For more information on how to fish big flutter spoons, check out my November article: www.lakeforkguidetrips.com/fishingarticles.htm

My 2007 Ranger Z21 boat is now for sale. I picked it up in late October of last year and it is fully loaded, rigged with a 250 HP Yamaha with a 5 year warranty. It’s value priced and will save you about $10,000 off the cost of a new boat. For more details and pics of the boat, please check my website (www.lakeforkguidetrips.com) or drop me a note.

Lake Baccarac Update: Fishing is off to a very fast start for the 2007-2008 season at Baccarac. I’ve updated the fishing reports on my website and they are staggering. In the past few days, two over 12 lbs, 4 over 11 lbs and lots and lots of 10s have been caught. All Mexico lakes go through boom and bust cycles and Baccarac is certainly peaking right now. There are still a few openings left for this coming season, but the remaining dates are booking very quickly. Anyone interested in fishing Baccarac this winter or spring should finalize their plans soon, as the lodge only holds 24 anglers and many of the premium dates are already booked solid. For more info on a trip to Baccarac, please check out my website: http://www.bigmexicobass.com .

Here’s hoping you catch the lunker of your dreams. If I can be of assistance, please contact me at 214-683-9572 (days) or 972-635-6027 (evenings) or e-mail me through http://www.LakeForkGuideTrips.com , where your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Good Fishing,

Tom
tom redington
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Gulf Coast - Western