Texas - Port Arthur to Brownsville

Moderator: admin

Lake Fork Report & 10 lb’er Pics: July 24, 2008

Postby tom redington » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Richard with a 10 lb 4 oz lunker this week, his biggest bass ever:

Lori and Kevin celebrated their wedding anniversary with some big bass:

John with a couple 7s from deep water:

A 9 lb 10 oz bass from a recent trip for me to south Texas:

It is the normal summertime scenario on Lake Fork—lots of hot days and a lot of hot fishing action. Fishing has been good for numbers most days with some big fish mixed in, like the 10 lb 4 oz and 8 lb lunkers we had on our last trip. It appears that the thermocline has developed as usual and many bass are now scattered or suspended, often making for smaller schools that are concentrated in small key locations. The big bass seemed to be mixed in with a lot of smaller bass, so watch your depth finder closely until you find a school, then work them over thoroughly until you’ve caught every bass in the area.

Lake Conditions: A couple weeks without significant rains has Fork’s water level slowly dropping, but still in great shape for the summer. The lake level is currently reading 403.21’ (about 3” above full pool). Most of the lake is now clear, with some stained water on the north ends. Water temps are normal for the summer, reading anywhere from 84 to 89 in the main lake. As the water continues to drop, the expansive hydrilla and milfoil beds are starting to mat up, which should make for good fishing later this summer and fall.

Location Pattern: Early and late, I’m finding good bass feeding on points and flats near or in the main lake. These fish are mostly in 8’ to 15’, often around the deep edge of the hydrilla or milfoil. Deep structure like points, humps, and roadbeds in 18’ to 30’ continues as my main pattern, producing both good numbers and size. Some days these bass are suspended and other days they’re on the bottom. Many of these schools have been small and are relating to a few pieces of isolated cover, so watch your depth finder closely.

Presentation Pattern: First thing in the morning, I’m working shallow grass on the main lake and in the 1st half of creeks. Pitch a 3/8 oz Mega Weight jig or a Texas rigged 8” or 10” worm a few feet inside the deep weedline and work it out slowly. I’m using a green pumpkin/black or a watermelon seed jig with a watermelon/red flake Fork Craw trailer, and a watermelon/red or green pumpkin Fork Worm on the Texas rig.

Out deeper, Carolina rigs, drop shots, jigs, and Texas rigs are catching bass from schools located near the bottom on deep structure. I go with a green pumpkin or watermelon red Twitch Worm or 10” Fork Worms for Texas rigs. Meanwhile, watermelon candy, watermelon/red, or green pumpkin Baby Fork Creatures, Ring Frys, and Twitch Worms are on the business end of my Carolina rigs. Drop shots will catch good numbers of fish and the occasional big bass, rigged with a watermelon or green pumpkin Twitch Worm. ½ oz Mega Weight jigs with matching Fork Craws are also catching some big bass out deep. When the bass are suspended, swimbaits, spoons, or deep diving crankbaits in shad or yellow bass patterns are working better than the bottom presentations, and catching some lunkers too.

Here’s hoping you catch the lunker of your dreams. If I can be of assistance, please contact me at 214-683-9572 (days) or 972-635-6027 (evenings) or e-mail me through http://www.LakeForkGuideTrips.com , where your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Good Fishing,

Tom
tom redington
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Gulf Coast - Western