Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Lake Fork Report & Pics: Aug 26, 2008

Texas - Port Arthur to Brownsville

Moderator: admin

Lake Fork Report & Pics: Aug 26, 2008

Postby tom redington » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:18 pm

A few of the many bass caught while working on upcoming “Texas Sportsman” and “Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine” articles with outdoor writer Larry:

Mark and I caught a number of big bass for his upcoming spoon fishing article in “Bass West Magazine”:

Fishing patterns are starting to change at Lake Fork, as a couple good rains and cooler temps have some fish just starting on fall patterns. September is always a popular month on Fork, as the fall tournament season really cranks up. It’s perfect timing for tournaments too, because the cooling water turns on the fishing in both the shallows and out deep. September-November normally produces our fastest action on Fork for numbers, with lots of keeper sized fish chasing bait in the shallows, while big groups of bass school up out deep. Whether you like topwaters, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits up shallow or fishing with soft plastics and spoons out deeper, fall is a fun time to fish Lake Fork.

As a side note, for those of you looking for some direction for fall tournaments on Lake Fork, check out my September article on fall tournament strategies: http://www.lakeforkguidetrips.com/fishingarticles.htm

Lake Conditions: Cooler temps and some good rains have Fork in great shape heading into the fall. The lake level is currently reading 402.94’ (less than 1” below full pool). Most of the lake is pretty clear, with some stained water in the north ends. Water temps cooled significantly, reading anywhere from 81 to 85 in the main lake. As the water level has dropped this summer, the expansive hydrilla and milfoil beds are really matting up, which makes for good fishing in late summer and fall.

Location Pattern: Early and late, focus on grass beds in the main lake or near deep water in larger creeks. Deep structure like points, humps, and roadbeds in 18’ to 28’ continues as my main pattern during the day, producing both good numbers and size. Some days these bass are suspended and other days they’re on the bottom. Many of these schools have been small and are relating to a few pieces of isolated cover, so watch your depth finder closely. As the water continues to cool, look for lots of bass and some lunkers to come from shallow water, especially on cloudy and windy days

Presentation Pattern: As fall approaches, bass will start keying on shad and most of my lure choices and colors will reflect that preference. Shades of white or chrome are always good choices in the fall on Fork. In the shallows, topwaters are starting to catch fish early and late, as well as Fork Frogs in the lily pads. As the sun gets up a little higher, shallow running crankbaits, small spinnerbaits, and Lake Fork Tackle’s 3.5” and 4.5” Live Magic Shad swimbaits work better, especially on windy banks. When the bass aren’t in a chasing mood, switch to a Texas rigged watermelon/red or watermelon candy 8” Fork Worm or the new Hyper Finesse Worm with a 1/8th oz bullet sinker and work it over the tops of grass and along the edges. For bigger fish, a 3/8 oz watermelon red Mega Weight Jig with a matching Fork Craw or a TX rigged watermelon/red or Bama Bug colored Hyper Freak produce well when pitched to the deep weed edge.

Out deeper, Carolina rigs, drop shots, jigs, and Texas rigs are catching bass from schools located near the bottom on deep structure. I go with a green pumpkin or watermelon red 8” or 10” Fork Worm for my Texas rigs. Meanwhile, watermelon candy, watermelon/red, or green pumpkin Baby Fork Creatures, Ring Frys, and Twitch Worms are on the business end of my Carolina rigs. Drop shots will catch good numbers of fish and the occasional big bass, rigged with a watermelon or green pumpkin Hyper Finesse Worm. ½ oz Mega Weight jigs with matching Fork Craws are also catching some big bass out deep. When the bass are suspended, Fork Flutter Spoons and deep diving crankbaits in shad or yellow bass patterns are working better than the bottom presentations, and catching some lunkers too.

Here’s hoping you catch the lunker of your dreams. If I can be of assistance, please contact me at 214-683-9572 (days) or 972-635-6027 (evenings) or e-mail me through http://www.LakeForkGuideTrips.com , where your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Good Fishing,

Tom
tom redington
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Gulf Coast - Western