Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

fishing turks and caicos and medium speed trolling

Includes: The Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela and any other exotic fishing locations in the Islands, Central and South America.

fishing turks and caicos and medium speed trolling

Postby geoff19789 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:12 pm

We seem to be well into our winter fishing season a little earlier than usual here in Turks and Caicos aboard the Gwendolyn. Two days ago we caught two nice wahoos in the 50lb range plus some tunas and a nice mahi. Marlin season finished well but we lacked enough fisherman due to the near misses of the numerous hurricanes (no damage with the exception of some landscaping, thank God) so it is unclear as to the current status of the marlin bite. At any rate, it’s nice to have a chance to fish the edge of the reef which is only two miles (or less) offshore here.

We are using the same techniques as always for the wahoo with medium speed trolling. Typical spread is two Yo-zuri Bonitas (8 3/8 inch Orange/Black) rigged on stainless cable fished on two Shimano 80s with a 300lb shock leader (12-15 feet) and a 48oz trolling lead rigged with stainless cable which is attached directly to the swivel. Fish one of the YoZuri Bonitas just in the wash letting out just enough line to wet the trolling lead with the second just within the wash. For outriggers baits, we are currently using the lures from Eat Me Tackle which seem to have just the perfect shape and weight to troll well at 10 knots plus in the purple/black colors. We also fish a shotgun down the middle behind the wash with a cedar plug or trolling feather for the tuna bites. I know that it has been mentioned but I still believe that the faster you troll the more wahoo bites that you will get. My rule of thumb is troll as fast as possible while still keeping the baits in the water.

We look forward to having another good year with a few wahoos that will top the 100lb mark while always being on the lookout for the ever-present sailfish, white marlin, mahi and tuna.

If you have any questions about my post, rigging techniques or fishing the Turks and Caicos Islands please do not hesitate to contact me at http://www.fishingtci.com or 1-866-990-3474. Captain Geoff Adams/Gwendolyn Fishing Charters
geoff19789
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to International - Tropical - NEW!