Terms of Use
 Web Development

New to the forum

Texas - Port Arthur to Brownsville

Moderator: admin

New to the forum

Postby Aztec Angler » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:14 pm

Hello Folks…

This looks like a great fishing forum. I’m looking forward to becoming a part of it. I love to fish and I love to talk about it.

I especially love fly fishing. I suppose high mountain stream fly fishing for native trout is my most favorite. But I’ll fish for anything…. Coolwater, warmwater, saltwater… it doesn’t matter. It’s a blast to catch bass, bream, crappie, redfish, bonefish and specs on a fly rod. Heck… if it has a fin I’ll throw a fly at it. I enjoy wade fishing, drift boat fishing and fishing from a kayak.

Do any of you fish from a kayak? I have a funny story for you...Last week, Uncle Jon took me to one of his favorite East Texas fishing spots. Its a beautiful small lake near Hawkins. We've been there before and I expected nothing out of the ordinary.

As usual, we took the kayaks as this is a perfect kayaking lake. After we arrived, we unloaded the boats and gear. We rigged up and placed all of our stuff in the kayaks. Jon had a good idea... or so he thought. Being a great host, he was concerned with my well being... or so I thought. You know... big ol' boys like me have a tough time sitting on something that's only 6 inches off the ground. I mean... to maintain any dignity at all during that process is no easy chore. Anyway, the rear half of my kayak was in the water while the front rested on the bank. Jon told me to go ahead and get in the boat and he would push the kayak out into the water. Well... it sounded like a good idea at the time. So, without getting wet, I climbed into the boat. I positioned myself in the seat and got as comfortable as I could. Jon asked, "you ready?" I said, "yep... lets go."

Jon grabbed the nose of the kayak, slightly lifted it, and began to push it backwards out into the lake. You have to remember here... I'm a pretty big ol' boy. My weight, and Jon's lifting of the kayak's nose, caused the rudder area to contact the lake's bottom. OK... remember when you were kid and someone told you to push that wheelbarrow with a load of wet cement? Ok... picture that in your mind. And picture this... Jon was holding the nose of the kayak (the wheelbarrow handles)... the rudder was resting on the bottom (the wheelbarrow tire)... and I was the load of cement teetering at the mercy of Jon's grip and the fish gods. You know... it doesn't take very much tilt to cause that full wheelbarrow to start to turn over... and it takes someone with strength and the right amount of leverage to keep it upright. Well, at this point, Jon had neither. Yea... you know what happened next. I started tilting to the right. The mass was moving. I saw Jon tighten his grip... but he had no leverage. I saw Jon's eyes start to bulge. I kept tilting to the right. At this point, I didn't think this scenario was going to end pleasantly. Jon was struggling. I was rooting for him. Within that split second, I was thinking, "come Jon, hold on."

You know... its a strange feeling when you reach the point to where you know you're going in. Its almost like slow motion. You think things like; I hope the water is not too cold, I hope its not too deep, I hope my insurance is paid up, etc... Well, I hit the water and immediately submerged. Of course, the the kayak immediately popped right back upright as Jon released his grip. I grabbed firm footing and proceeded to stand up in the belly button deep water. the bottom had a slick and steep incline at this point and I slipped and was again submerged. Eventually, in what seemed like an awful long time and a good bit of thrashing, I stood up and walked slowly out of the water. My fly line and leader were tangled all about my feet. All dignity was lost.

Jon apologized and was probably sincere. I'm sure you know that look on someone's face when they need to laugh out load but are doing their dead level best to look serious. Ok... that's Jon. Well... we reloaded the boat and approached the launch at a totally different angle. I had a good day of fishing. My mind often wandered back that moment as the water drops dripped off the brim of my hat. I couldn't help but wonder why Uncle Jon did that to me. Did he want to catch the first fish. Heck... all he had to do was say so. I would have gladly watched from the bank.

Anyway... I suppose my favorite fly fishing destination is the Durango, Colorado area. I love the mountain streams in that area. If I desire some bigger water, then the Animas and San Juan River is right there.

About 8 years ago, my enjoyment of fly fishing led me to teach others how to fly fish. Now, I’m the director fly fishing at Tyler Junior College in Tyler, Texas. Teaching newcomers to fly fish is one of the most rewarding things that I’ve ever done. I’m also the owner of Aztec Anglers http://www.aztecanglers.com which is a guide service for fly fishing the San Juan River in New Mexico.

This appears to be a forum with a lot of very knowledgeable anglers. But if you have any fly fishing questions… fire away. I’m always willing to help.

Also, I’m always looking for new water to fish. So, if it’s not your best kept secret, tell me where you favorite places are.

Thanks,
Steve
Aztec Angler

Postby leahn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:41 pm

Hi Aztec, i am leahn.. Ive noticed that you were not able to post anymore.. Are you some kind of busy or what?? I am just curious, knowing that you said in post, that you love tobe part of this forum.. "No offense"

Well, I am jsut a bit sad, knowing that there are only small group of people who are very much active..

Pretty good story huh! Were you able to go there again, after that funny experience ???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it."
leahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Aztec Angler » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Hi leahn:

Yeah... I've had good intentions but very little time. I check in from time to time but haven't had a lot of time to be very active. I've been so busy with my shop that I've had no time for fun stuff either including fishing.

Anyway... great forum. Keep you chin up. It will grow and you'll get more active members soon.

BTW... no, I haven't since had a chance to get back.

Steve
Aztec Angler

Postby leahn » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:39 pm

Hello there aztec,

That is a very bad news, hopefully you could be able to find time again, engaging in this forum.and also with fishing.:) BTW, what kind of services do you offer in your shop??

Yeah, really nice forum, but I am also sad that sometimes, my questions were not able to be answered by the people here..

Goodluck. and hoping that you could go there again...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
leahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RudyGomez » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:04 am

Welcome Aztec Angler :D
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Return to Gulf Coast - Western