Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Fishfinders- any advice?

All Matters Dealing with Boats

Moderator: admin

Fishfinders- any advice?

Postby GTSR » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:36 pm

Is there a big difference in fishfinders?

I know that some of the differences are 1)output in watts, 2) LHZ(width of view) and 3)size and pixels of the screen.

The biggest thing I seem to have figured out is that WATTS is the thing that provides detail of the bottom. More watts, more money, is what it looks like. Is color much better for viewing bottom details? It looks like color screens cost double the black and white.
Whats the difference between SONAR and a fishfinder?

Thanks
GTSR

Re: Fishfinders- any advice?

Postby topangler » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:52 pm

GTSR wrote:Whats the difference between SONAR and a fishfinder?

As far as I know, you can point the beam of a sonar in many directions, but most fishfinders, the transducer simply point straight down in a fixed position.
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton
topangler
Old Salt
Old Salt

fish finder / depth finder

Postby toonerfla » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:32 am

if you have a problem with your depth finder reading at all speeds go to the link below
Stop at a great pontoon owners forums link and info page

http://www.angelfire.com/pro/florida/plan/plans.html
toonerfla
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Magic Hook » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:54 am

YES, there is a big difference. Good news is that most on the market do a good job. If you are a serious fishermen do yourself a favor and get color. Dont overspend for a high power unit unless you are deep drop fising or swordfishing.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Getting it

Postby cord700 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:14 pm

Is there a big difference in fishfinders?

All of that and I still dont get it.
[url=http://www.caribbean-stud-poker.v-747.com]Caribbean Stud Poker
[/url] [url=http://www.local-airline-tickets.info/california-san-jose-airline-tickets.html]San Jose Airline Tickets
[/url]
cord700

Re: Getting it

Postby SlimCady » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:35 pm

With everything out on the market today don't even bother with the mono screens. There are plenty of affordable color models. There are a few models that have special sonar scanning units such as Interphase make(expensive). You standard fishfinder/sounder are all generally the same. Transducers the part in the water are all made by the same OEM manufacturer Airmar. All the major manufacturers use the same general transducers with their connector on the end.

You are correct the higher the power the more expensive and the deeper and more detailed the unit will read. For most people the 600w units are adequate. If you are a more serious angler and have the buck to spend go with a 1kW. Furuno has two new units out the 620 and 585 which are replacements for their 600L and 582L they have always made a good sounder. Garmin has come to the market this year with a quality black box sounder the GSD22 which is compatible with the 292/392/492/3206/3210 it will handle 600w/1kw/2kw transducers. Get in touch with Scuba Steve he can really help you out www.scubasteve.biz.
SlimCady
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Boating