Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Fishing Flamingo - End Of May

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

Postby jrcg8tor » Sat May 10, 2003 10:31 am

We will be fishing out of Flamingo the end of this month. We also plan to fish from shore around the lodge in late afternoon and in the marina at night. Any suggestions for what to fish around the lodge and in the Marina at night? Also, seeing the limited consumption mercury warnings in this months Florida Sportsman, what are your opinions on eating trout from Florida Bay or reds from the backcountry?
jrcg8tor

Postby RudyGomez » Mon May 12, 2003 9:48 am

First, welcome to our Forum :-)

The first tarpon I ever caught on fly was taken on the backcountry dock at flamingo using a white deceiver and an 8 weight. Although I haven’t fished it lately, the backcountry dock was ALWAYS good for baby tarpon near dusk. Just watch out for the gators :roll:

The outside dock and marina are loaded with big snook. I recommend live bait or shrimp tipped jigs. The rocks around the mouth of the marina are a good place to try.

Make sure you come back and let us know how you did...
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Postby snooks2005 » Mon May 12, 2003 9:03 pm

jrcg8tor you may want to check the regs for the park I don't think you are allowed to fish from the ramps anymore. You may also want to re-consider fishing at night unless you have plenty of blood to donate to mother nature :)
ImageImageImage Image
snooks2005
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby jrcg8tor » Tue May 13, 2003 8:44 am

Thanks for the help. Feel like a kid two weeks before Christmas.

Snooks2005, we use a thermacell, which is a little butane device that the turkey hunters here in NE Florida sware by. We fished one night last year at the end of May and the thermacell worked great. I don't know how it works, all I know is that you turn it on and about 5 minutes later the mosquitos are gone.
jrcg8tor

Postby snooks2005 » Tue May 13, 2003 5:36 pm

I am very familiar with thermacell :wink: we use it all the time down here when night fishing in the passes, the stuff works great. Make sure you bring plenty of butane with you because the last time I stopped by one of the local Kmart's they were out of the butane which was about a week ago and they didn't know when they were getting another shipment.

Good luck
ImageImageImage Image
snooks2005
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby RudyGomez » Tue May 13, 2003 9:03 pm

snooks2005 wrote:jrcg8tor you may want to check the regs for the park I don't think you are allowed to fish from the ramps anymore...

Oops :oops:

I guess you can tell I haven't been to Flamingo in a while.
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez

Postby jrcg8tor » Tue May 13, 2003 10:55 pm

Snooks25- Went to the fishing section of the Everglades web-site. Did not see any thing about the ramps, but I don't know how often they update the web-site. Do you know what they consider to be the ramps?
Also, do you know if they still allow you to fish from the docks in the marina after sundown.

Will bring a big supply of butane. The stores up here have trouble keeping refills in stock too. I have recently seen them in Walgreens for the first time.

Really looking forward to getting back down to that part of the state again.
jrcg8tor

Postby snooks2005 » Wed May 14, 2003 7:00 pm

If I am not mistaken they consider any place where you launch you boat from to be the ramp area.

I am not sure if they allow you to fish from the docks in the marina after sundown, but the best bet would be to ask the ranger on duty at the front gate once you arrive to the park.
ImageImageImage Image
snooks2005
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay