Terms of Use
 Web Development

Bonito and Blues Biting Hard off Wrightsville Beach and Caro

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

Bonito and Blues Biting Hard off Wrightsville Beach and Caro

Postby Capt Rick Bennett » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 am

Hi Folks,
This weekend brought some nice weather and gave us the opportunity to get out and chase some bonito. The good news is there are bonito out there and more.

Now here's my report:
Inshore: Reds and trout are biting in the inlets, the ICW and the river. Best baits right now are GULP SW and fresh shrimp or cut bait. A few flounder are starting to show up...a bit on the smaller size.

Near Shore: Bluefish are just about everywhere. Catch-em trolling Yozuri Deep Divers or jigging with you favorite jigging spoon. Bonito are around and the best method right now is trolling: you can do this two ways; try trolling Deep Divers and 3-3.4 kts. or use clarkspoons on planers at 5-6 kts. The deep divers are more sporting.

Offshore: The kings are getting closer...25-30 miles. Bottom fishing for grouper in the 30-40 mile range is good.

Gulfstream: I have received reports of great mahi catches with some yellowfin and blackfin tuna added to the catch. Wahoo have been biting as well.

Outlook: Look for things to fire off fast now. The water is in the 67-68 magic mark. Spanish should show up any day and the first of the year are the big ones. The bigger flounder should move in very soon.

I am really enjoying my new Nautic Star 24 Bay Boat. It does it all and with all the amenities.

The primary vote is just around the corner. I won't express my political view, but I will urge you to vote. It is not only your right, it is your obligation.

Don't miss the action:

LET"S GO FISHING!!!
Capt. Rick Bennett
Rod-Man Charters
910-799-6120
Capt Rick Bennett
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central