Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Fishing Report March 13, 2010

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

Fishing Report March 13, 2010

Postby rufishingyet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 am

There is no competing with a day on the water here in the beautiful Florida Keys! All of you spring breakers will regret it if you skip a chance to experience the Florida Keys true beauty: the turquoise waters and the wildlife hiding within it. Taking a private charter allows you to make the decisions. This cannot happen while chartering a larger “cattle boat” . The larger boats are unable to scream across the shallows of the bay while clients witness stingray being chased by Hammerhead sharks. You will not stop to watch a pod of dolphin trap their dinner because unfortunately they have an agenda to fulfill. For this reason taking a private charter is well worth the money and you are sure to come home with wonderful memories as well as beautiful photographs. This week was definitely one to remember for all of my clients as the temperature and the winds were ideal for spotting many fish and other creatures of the sea!

The waters are warming and this brings in many different species of fish. On Monday I took my client Tom and his wife out west and we had luck with Mackerel, Mangrove Snapper, Bluefish, Ladyfish, different varieties of sharks and one surprise bonefish. I have to say the highlight of my day was that surprise bonefish! Most amazing was we were not in search of bonefish, we were mackerel fishing! I could not believe my eyes when Tom reeled in the 2.5 pound bonefish. Yes, a small bonefish but a bonefish none the less! As we continued to fish the bonefish were steadily teasing Tom with nibbles but no more takers. This is a great sign that the bonefish are moving back to the warmer spring waters! So make sure you practice your casting in order to have the most success catching these usually elusive bonefish.

The rest of the week I spent my time scoping out the backcountry. We had luck with Speckled Sea Trout, Ladyfish, Black Drum, and a few Redfish. As we move into spring and the waters warm the Tarpon are becoming more prominent. I am noticing many juvenile Tarpon scoping the waters for their next meal. As the warming trend continues the larger more desired Tarpon will make their debut. If your dream is to catch a trophy Tarpon make sure to book early as the experienced captains are already receiving bookings for the most desired months; March, April, May, and June.

Until next time, ask yourself this one question….. Are you fishing yet?
am a South Florida native who has been fishing the local waters from Biscayne Bay to Islamorada for over 30 years. After obtaining my captain's license, I have been chartering light tackle and fly fishing enthusiasts in the Key Largo area and Everglades National Park.

My fishing speciality is targeting Snook, Redfish and Sea Trout in the backcountry and Bonefish, Tarpon and Permit on the ocean side flats that surround the Key Largo area. I am very easy to get along with and welcome experienced and novice fisherman. Junior anglers are welcome as well!
rufishingyet
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay