Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

sheepies, trout-shallow bay; rough offshore-tough fishing: B

East Cape to Englewood

Moderator: admin

sheepies, trout-shallow bay; rough offshore-tough fishing: B

Postby fishbuster » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:53 pm

I was looking forward to some calm seas Monday, based upon predictions of two feet—Instead, we encountered four foot seas, and had to fish close in at the reefs. Even there at the reefs it was rough, and the water was muddy. The fish were just not biting well—we could see them on the sonar, but we caught and released only short grouper and sheepshead. A youngster on board, did catch one keeper sheepshead, which we photographed for him.

Wednesday, I fished in Estero Bay, wherever we could find deep enough water. It was chilly and very windy, and the bay was shallow, but we fished an incoming tide, and caught two cravalle jacks and four keeper sheepshead to 17 1/2 inches, using live shrimp.

Yet another cold front came through, with windy conditions Thursday, calming some by Friday, when I ventured offshore. The water temperature was 65 degrees when we headed out on a chilly, 47 degree morning. We went out to where the water was slightly warmer—about 68 degrees. The bite was very slow, and we changed locations a few times, trying to find some fish. But, even in 50 feet of water, we were catching pinfish, small snappers and small red groupers. We also hooked one jolthead porgie. I don’t know what to make of the slow fishing this week, except that the cold water temperature must be a factor.

I fished Estero Bay Saturday, in the channel toward Wiggins Pass. We caught two keeper sheepshead, and released lots of smaller ones, along with ladyfish. We also got a 16 inch trout, on live shrimp.

The photo shown is of angler Tony Pastore, with a 23 inch gag grouper, caught on live shrimp, on an offshore trip last month.
Captain Dave Hanson
Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
Bonita Beach, FL
(239) 947-1688
[email protected]
www.fishbustercharters.com
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - Southwest