Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Filling an empty tackle box

Cedar Key to Pensacola

Moderator: admin

Filling an empty tackle box

Postby Outdoor-Links.Com » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:31 pm

If you were going to start saltwater fishing and had $500 to spend on tackle (not rods/reels) what items would you purchase? I have very little tackle for fishing the Destin area and would like to get a good cross selection of gear.
Outdoor-Links.Com
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Capt. Eddie » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:06 pm

Outdoor-Links.Com, what type of fishing are you going to be doing the most of :?: and when :?:
Capt. Eddie
Full Net Charters offers the finest Near Shore and Inshore fishing charters anywhere on the Gulf.
http://www.fullnetcharters.com
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Type of angling?

Postby Outdoor-Links.Com » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:40 pm

That's a very good question, but all I can say at this point, is I'm open to anything saltwater. I have chartered boats in the past, but I also see surf, pier and jetty fishing available. I also own a small boat 17' which I will most likely bring with me on my next trip to Destin.

I visit Destin about 4 times a year and I want to fish as much as possible.
Outdoor-Links.Com
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Capt. Eddie » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:02 am

Outdoor-Links.Com, O.K. where to begin, for surf, pier and jetty fishing, go with the basic terminal (bottom – carolina rig or a 3 way swivel rig) live or dead bait rigs for many different species Reds, Flounder, Pompano, Specks and Shark. Then in the spring from mid March till the end of April the pier and surf fishing is all Cobia – live bait or Cobia Jigs are most common. Then for the Spanish Mackerel throw a shinny spoon lure like the Clark Spoon or a top water rig like the float and straw rig.
Then for the boat fishing in the bay you will find the Spanish all around the North side of the Pass. Troll Mackerel rigs and spoons for them. Then for Jacks, Specks and Reds go with Top water plugs of just about any brand, one of my favorite is the Top Dog jr. or the Super Zara Spook jr. get a good selection of soft baits like the Zoom Super Fluke, rigged weightless and lead head jigs with plastic trailers, D.O.A. Shrimp baits are hard to beat everything eats Shrimp! And by all means don’t forget the gold spoons like the Johnson Silver minnow and Sprite spoons definitely one of my favorites.
Well there’s a start if you don’t spend 500.00 there, get back with me and I’ll think of something else.
Always check out the local tackle shops like Half Hitch in Destin for local information and what’s hot at the time there’s always something new and hot on the shelves.

Professional Fishing Guide
Capt. Eddie Woodall
Full Net Charters offers the finest Near Shore and Inshore fishing charters anywhere on the Gulf.
http://www.fullnetcharters.com
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Outdoor-Links.Com » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:13 am

Thanks Capt. for the list of tackle. The Guys at Half Hitch have been very helpful so far each visit I make to them. I broke down and purchased a annual license and I do have the bottom rigs you spoke about. Half Hitch had already set me up with that.

I'll be back in Destin in May and Half Hitch will be one of my first stops.

Thanks again for the time to list everything.
Outdoor-Links.Com
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - Panhandle & Big Bend